Ok I am back after a while. If you ask me what was keeping me away my gleeful response will be coding.
My recent responsibility for a change, has been managing/writing code (after a long time) along with managing other things, which i have been doing for quite some time now.
But getting back to coding is actually a delightfully experience i envy all of you out there who have nothing else to worry about but to squat a tricky bug or to do coding. For me this is very refreshing here is why I like coding better than any other management job in the world
1. You are totally in control of what you are doing, unlike management of people/operations/resources where there are thousands of unknown factors making your life difficult
2. If the code is not behaving properly there has to be a solid reason behind it and you can always track it, off course with some amount of time, but there is always a perfectly logical explanation of the behavior, which i am afraid does not hold true when you are managing people.
3. The result is always rewarding if you put in odd hours worked your head off for writing a good clean and optimized code it will pay you back graciously, but in management job no matter how much you put at stake no body gives positive response they always find short comings.
4. You reap what you sow, so if you write good code the program treats you well if you write bad code it treats you appropriately, but in management if your subordinate does a poor job you get negative feed back from people above you if your manager does a poor job you again get a negative feed back this time from people you manage, so you are the cushion every body can put their weight on and use as a punching bag.
5. The satisfaction of seeing your code run perfectly integrate with its surrounding is some thing that can’t be explained in words its a feeling only the coders know.
So this goes to all of you people out there who are doing coding and development. If you like what you are doing you are blessed people, keep doing this wonderful job which keeps the smile on your face when ever a complex problem is solved.
Powered by ScribeFire.