Here is a topic which keeps popping every time i meet some one who is either leaving for studies or job out of country. Or when some one posts the question when are you leaving? so all of us here lets evaluate what we gain and lose from going abroad. is the local scene so bad that no one wants to stay here?
This should evolve into a debate so your comments are required to complete this post. You are encouraged not to agree with me, but take me to task with valid points as i am a die hard fan Pakistan and working in my home country.
So here are the pros of Working and living in Pakistan
1. You get to live near you families and loved ones. Which is a big plus if you consider it. you get grand parents for your children and they actually like their aunts and uncles versus the so so relation ship children living abroad have with their families which is usually over phone only,
2. You get to a good easy life with fewer amount of money, now this is a controversial thing. let me explain this a little. here after a good 4-5 year of job you can afford to rent a good size apartment, get a brand new car and afford servants and maid to do the house chores. if you are a good professional you might be leaving a life which places you in upper middle class of the society that itself gives you a satisfaction. this how ever in my humble opinion does not apply for Pakistanis living abroad, i have yet to see some one after 5 years in a foreign country lead a luxurious or easy life. they are always trying to make ends meet and trying to save some money. one thing to realize here is living there you have to visit back after every 1-2 years which is a huge budget concern so you save for a year and then spend it while visiting and the cycle goes on.
3. You can live in a society that respects you, you are not singled out as an alien. And treated as an equal by every one. you are not singled out as some one of different color, or race.
4. Your children grow with strong roots in culture of the country they know the respect you give to your elders and learn to co-exist in an environment to live with different people under the same roof.
Now some of the Cons.
1. The future is very unstable and has been since our independence. Nobody knows the outlook after 5 year, there is utter confusion in the direction we are going as a nation.
2. The infrastructure and facilities are lacking you don’t get the basic amenities of life like electricity, water easily. in a lot of places you have to pay hefty amounts to actually get these (people pay a lot in Karachi for tankers to provide water)
3. The Job scene is also not rosy always, you get sudden shut down of companies, whole industries collapse and no support is given from government of people getting out of jobs due to such situation. Also the laws are not too strict to protect the employees in most cases where they are its extremely difficult to get protection under those
I know i must have missed out many. you are required to chip in with pros and cons.
But from my stand point there was this movie i watched(Indian probably), in which a simple villager who lands in UK and wins a big reward, says to some one who is asking him to stay there because he can live a lavish life with the money he has won. The sentences that i some times echo to my self when ever i get an offer to go abroad.
“What is the use of a great car which i can’t even give a ride to my friends and family and show off to them, what is the use of a big house if i can’t even get my parents to live under it. What is the use of a lot of money if i can’t even buy sweets for my nephews and nieces.”