I will write about the impact that something like Zimbra could have soon.
It is essentially an embodiment of things I recommend for the Web-20 space. Focus on creating value, rather than creating copies.
For the moment, let me just list some features that makes it better than Outlook and Gmail:
- Shared Calendars built-in
- RSS built-in
- “Save searches” – execute a particular search on-demand on your inbox
- Tagging emails — click on “customers” tag to get all customer conversations
- AJAX-based Document and Spreadsheet (like Writely and Google docs)
- Wiki built in
- Widgets (for wikipedia search ; Yahoo maps ; etc)
- Salesforce Integration built-in
- OTA mobile sync (like Blackberry)
- Much more!
Here are the big questions tho:
1- (Please help me on this) Why is Zimbra still not a compelling purchase? (well atleast it is not for me)
2- Why did Google choose to purchase Writely instead of Zimbra (when both were available)?
I’d look forward to your thoughts on this.